Inquiry launched into Swiss ski bar following 40 fatalities

Tragedy at Le Constellation: Criminal Investigation Begins

A devastating fire at a bar in the upscale ski resort of Crans-Montana, Switzerland, has left 40 people dead and over 100 injured. The incident occurred during a New Year’s Eve party, marking one of the worst tragedies in the country's recent history. Two individuals who operated the bar, Le Constellation, are now under criminal investigation for suspected offenses including homicide by negligence, causing bodily harm by negligence, and arson by negligence.

The fire, which broke out on New Year’s Eve, led to temperatures reaching as high as 500 to 600 degrees Celsius (900-1,100 Fahrenheit), according to Swiss Justice Minister Beat Jans. He expressed deep sorrow over the tragedy, standing in front of the cordoned-off bar. "It was an enormous tragedy. We're all so sorry that this had to happen," he said.

Witnesses reported seeing staff at Le Constellation carrying fountain candles atop bottles of champagne, raising questions about the safety measures in place. Additionally, concerns have been raised about the foam material used to soundproof the ceiling of the basement where revellers danced.

Beatrice Pilloud, chief prosecutor of Valais, stated that the fire likely started when sparklers came into contact with the ceiling. "From there, a rapid, very rapid and widespread blaze ensued," she said on Friday afternoon.

Ongoing Investigations and Concerns

Authorities are conducting a thorough investigation into the incident, focusing on several key areas. These include the renovations made to the bar, the effectiveness of the fire extinguishing systems, the escape routes available, and the number of people present when the fire began.

Local residents described the bar as a popular spot for young people, and the Swiss government confirmed that many of the victims were likely youths. In Switzerland, the legal drinking age is 16, and it is possible that some of the victims were under this age.

One of the bar's owners, Jacques Moretti, told the Tribune de Geneve newspaper that Le Constellation had been checked three times in 10 years and that everything was done according to the rules. However, Stephane Ganzer, head of security in Valais, mentioned that the investigation will determine if the bar had undergone its annual building inspections. He also noted that the town had not raised any concerns or reported defects to the canton.

Identifying the Victims

The process of identifying the victims has proven to be painstaking. On Saturday, the Valais prosecutors' office announced that police had identified the bodies of four Swiss victims aged between 16 and 21 – two female and two male – and returned them to their families. They did not name the individuals.

On Friday, officials had only identified one of the dead, a teenage Italian international golfer, Emanuele Galeppini. According to two people familiar with the investigation, some of the victims may be under 16.

Residents affected by the tragedy have called for an independent investigation to uncover what went wrong. Patricia Mazzoni, 55, said, "We need a moment to reflect. But afterwards, I'd like an independent investigation. An independent investigation to find out who failed here."

As the investigation continues, the community remains in mourning, seeking answers and closure in the wake of this tragic event.

Next Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url
sr7themes.eu.org