Bodies found as search for missing swimmers continues

Emergency Response Underway Following Tragic Incident in Withernsea

A tragic incident has unfolded in the coastal town of Withernsea, East Yorkshire, where two bodies have been recovered from the sea following reports of individuals in difficulty. The emergency was first raised just after 3pm on Friday, 2 January, as a major search operation was launched to locate one remaining person who had entered the water.

The search is being led by HM Coastguard, with support from the RNLI, Humberside Police, Yorkshire Ambulance Service, and Humberside Fire and Rescue. Despite the ongoing efforts, the situation remains critical as teams continue their search for the last missing individual.

Humberside Police confirmed that a 67-year-old man died after being pulled from the sea on Friday evening. Shortly after, the body of a second person was also found. A force spokesperson stated: “We can now confirm that earlier this evening (Friday, 2 January 2026) a second body was recovered from the sea. The circumstances are not believed to be suspicious. Humberside Police officers along with HM Coastguard, Yorkshire Ambulance Service and Humberside Fire and Rescue, remain in the area as searches continue for one more person who entered the water this afternoon. We continue to ask that people avoid the area to allow emergency services to work efficiently and safely.”

Coordinated Search Efforts

Earlier on Friday, HM Coastguard confirmed it was searching for two missing people in the water after the alarm was raised. A spokesperson said: “HM Coastguard is searching for two missing people in the water off Withernsea today, 2 January. First alerted to reports of people in difficulty in the water at around 3.10pm, assets sent to the scene include an HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft, Coastguard rescue teams from Withernsea, Hornsea and Hull, the RNLI’s inshore lifeboat from Withernsea and all-weather lifeboat from Bridlington, and Hornsea Inshore Rescue. Yorkshire Ambulance Service has been sent, as well as an air ambulance. Humberside Police and Humberside Fire and Rescue are also in attendance. Searches remain ongoing.”

Humberside Fire and Rescue Services were called to the scene at 3.40pm on Friday. A spokesperson said: “There are emergency vehicles around the central promenade area of Withernsea. We ask if people can avoid this area if at all possible and to take care because emergency vehicles will be moving in the area.”

Challenging Conditions and Community Reaction

In a post on Facebook early on Friday evening, Hornsea Inshore Rescue warned that conditions were not safe and said its casualty care crew were on the way to Withernsea to assist. “Called out, unable to launch [a] lifeboat due to horrendous conditions and three metre waves breaking on our slipway which would knock the tractor and trailer sideways off the ramp. Our 4x4 vehicle [is] en route to Withernsea with a casualty care crew,” it said in the post.

Darren Stevens, a local resident, told the BBC he had witnessed lots of emergency vehicles and crews near the beach. He also mentioned that it had snowed earlier and that the conditions were “bitter” and “freezing.” “It’s not a good place to be in the sea,” he added.

Ongoing Investigations and Public Safety

As the search continues, authorities are urging members of the public to stay away from the area to ensure the safety of emergency responders. The incident highlights the dangers of the sea, especially during harsh weather conditions. Local residents and visitors are reminded to exercise caution and heed any warnings issued by the relevant authorities.

The tragedy has left the community in shock, and further details about the incident are expected to emerge as investigations progress. The focus remains on supporting the families affected and ensuring that the area is secured for the continued search efforts.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url
sr7themes.eu.org